MRS Advanced Certificate in Market & Social Research Practice
The MRS Advanced Certificate in Market & Social Research Practice has been developed
by The Market Research Society. Drawing on best practice across the profession,
the MRS Advanced Certificate is designed to provide a practical grounding in the
principles and techniques which underpin effective marketing research.
This degree level qualification is designed for those who have just entered or are seeking to enter the marketing research profession,
working in the areas of commercial marketing or social research, either within research agencies or client-side research departments.
The qualification seeks to enable candidates to develop a wide range of research skills, including:
- understand, define and evaluate research objectives for given research problems
- design appropriate research solutions to identified problems, based on a clear understanding of a range of research approaches and techniques
- select appropriate techniques for the collection and analysis of the data necessary to inform effective decision-making
- provide recommendations to support the decision-making process, based on a clear understanding of the information gathered during the research process
- analyse and evaluate choices made at each stage in the process
Candidates for the Advanced Certificate would normally have one or more of the following:
- One year or more of relevant experience in marketing or social research
- The Market Research Society Foundation Course Certificate
- MRS/City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Market & Social Research
- Satisfactory nomination by employer
- Satisfactory nomination by course tutor, in cases where the MRS Advanced Certificate is being taken alongside an undergraduate degree or CIM Certificate
- 2 A Levels (or equivalent)
The MRS Advanced Certificate is a single-unit qualification, comprising 8 elements which follow the research process from problem definition to reporting on research results.
In order to reflect the inter-dependence of the various stages in the research process, the assessment of the qualification follows an integrated approach. All candidates must complete 2 components of assessment:
A coursework element (the Integrated Assignment, or IA): This 3000 – 3500 assignment requires candidates either to prepare a proposal for a research project, or a critical review of a research project with which they have been involved. Both formats require candidates to integrate knowledge from across the syllabus.
A written examination: All questions in the examination draw on at least two elements of the syllabus, and, in order to be successful, candidates must demonstrate that they can integrate knowledge from different elements. In each examination round, a minimum of 80% of syllabus areas will be assessed through the range of questions. Exam Duration: 2 hrs 30mins.
The focus of the MRS Advanced Certificate in Market & Social Research Practice is on the development of understanding of both key principles and ‘real world’ research practice, and on the application of this understanding to research problems.
The learning outcomes for the qualification cover the 8 elements outlined below:
Introduction to Market & Social Research
Designing a research project
Selecting an appropriate sample
Planning and conducting qualitative research
Planning and conducting quantitative research
Designing instruments for gathering data
Reporting research findings
Autumn 2013 Timetable
Contact us if you have any enquiries regarding this course. Please call 0844 272 5837 or email